Saturday, September 19, 2009

Homegurl Takes A Tumble

I can't believe I have been in Moscow for about 4 weeks already. Time goes by too fast. Lately I've been feeling like Moscow is becoming like home to me. But at the same time I still feel like I'm some crazy foreign city and I don't know what's going on. I'm sure as the semester progresses I will feel more and more at home in Moscow.

How's the academic part going? It's actually going great. I have no complaints about the classes so far. Although this week I started to feel a bit overwhelmed by the language. I mean I understand pretty much everything the professors say but when I'm at home flipping through the dictionary or even looking at the new words we learned in class I can't help but feel overwhelmed. There are so many words, so many constructions, and so many rules to learn. But I'm pretty sure I got it. I'm not like cocky, but I'm confident I'll learn it haha Also, I'll give my thoughts about the other students. So far, I definitely only like the Korean and Japanese girls in our class. The Dickinson group has also gone out with a couple of french girls, they're also pretty great. The other American students are just like really weird or sound like tools. My favorite professor is still the phonetics professor. She makes us get up in the end of class to stretch and we repeat some words while we do it, it's actually quite fun haha

I unfortunately have some sad news about homegurl Eleonora. Early this week she fell. She told me she was going down the underpass and didn't see the last step and she went down. When she first showed me her ankle I of course freaked out and said "Oh my god girl what happened?!?!" and few seconds later I realized that she did not understand a word of that. It has gotten better from what I can see. I actually asked her yesterday how was her ankle and she said "Well, I cannot dance, but I will survive" which I thought was hilarious. As for my roommate Chris, he's pretty cool so far. When we have breakfast or dinner together we talk about everything that's going on in our lives. The Dickinson group wants to meet him haha so I definitely need to set up a date. So far the life at home is going well. We'll see what happens next week :)

1 comment:

  1. I thought you'd have better news, like...
    I dunno..
    You were going to the edge of Russia to meet me?
    But, on a serious note, I'm glad you're doing well & adjusting.
    <3 from Alaska,
    Keely

    ReplyDelete