Thursday, September 3, 2009

Всё будет хорошо

My second week in Moscow is coming to an end so it's time for another post! I feel like the sightseeing has slowed down a bit and now we are slowly being left alone to explore the city on our terms. I am looking forward to the day where we are in full РГГУ mode next week and have our regular classes and everything. It's actually quite daunting haha

Being the only one living in the apartment with homegurl Eleonora is a bit strange. Since James left there is nobody else to help me so you can imagine the many awkward moments where I have to go to my room to get the dictionary. I wouldn't want it any other way though, I came here for the real experience. I was also left alone for the weekend because she went to the dacha(summer home). Today she told me that the student from Middlebury will be arriving tomorrow. I'm actually a little bit excited, the only thing I know is that his name is Christopher. We'll see.

Now onto a more serious subject. I feel like me and her definitely had a falling out today. I decided to ask her about marriage and when people in Russia usually get married. She said now it's usually when people have their careers set. I said it's like the same in America a bit, and then she asked me when I plan to get married. I thought about for a second, "should I lie or should I be completely honest?" and what did I decide? To be completely honest of course... oh what a mistake. I told her how I don't believe in marriage and then I came out to her. At first she seemed completely fine with it, she said oh you know if that's how you want to live your life, to each his own. But as we went on, she was definitely not accepting. I could tell that her stance was that people are made gay or they can change into the "correct" and "normal" orientation. It was quite difficult for me since I am not really anywhere near fluent in the language so it's not like I could defend myself. I simply did my best and flipped through the dictionary desperately trying to find words that would make her understand. Unfortunately there weren't any. We ended the conversation by having some wine, which wasn't bad.

Right now I could be quite pessimistic about my future and also vent about how close minded some people are. But I will not. I am quite resilient, even if I don't appear to be. This experience won't stop me from continuing to enjoy my stay in Moscow. I'm simply gonna take it one day at a time and hopefully всё будет хорошо(vsyo budyet khorosho, everything will be alright).

No comments:

Post a Comment