Monday, October 26, 2009

Out On The Weekend

Hey everyone! I am actually going to keep the updates on the regular. Unfortunately this last week I was out of commission since I was sick. But thankfully I got better by Friday so I have plenty of stuff to talk about :)

Alright so nothing really happened during the week except sleep. Although when homegurl Eleonora realized I was sick, she went into like super host mom mode. She brought me like some chicken noodle soup, like two different kinds of tea, lemon slices with honey and oranges. She also cleaned my room and said that if my room looks nice I will get better soon. And on top of it all, she made me recite positive affirmations in Russian haha it was like "I am too strong to be sick... The Russian cold is not cold to me" and some others. She was really sweet and I definitely need to buy her some flowers soon. I also told her today that I am going to the Beyonce concert next week and explained Single Ladies to her. She totally loved it haha

Alright so now onto my weekend. So Friday I returned to my regular schedule. I felt much better and all that good junk. So the usual group plus Pat's friend and our classmate went out to this club called Propaganda. It was a fun time except they took forever to clear the tables to make the dance floor. We had to leave early though since we had an excursion to Yasnaya Polyana(Tolstoy's Estate) early the next day. I got up on time and everything, but all I'm gonna say is I should not have had that extra Long Island Ice Tea haha... His estate was really nice. My favorite place was his actual house, I have read his books and it was just so interesting to see where he made it all happen. It's also always really interesting to see the huge contrast between huge cities like Moscow or St. Petersburg and like the rural areas of Russia. The only really unpleasant part of the trip was the train ride. I don't know who thought it was a bright idea to heat the train up to like 90 degrees, like I know it's freezing outside but let's calm down. After we got back from the trip Pat and I decided to go out.

This time I really wanted to see the drag queen show. So we met up later and went back to Tri Obezani. We had a really great time. We actually met this one Jewish guy who goes to the theater institute here. Pat and I call him UFO because of his hair haha all I'm saying is gurl needed some help with that. It was actually quite hilarious because he thought Pat and I were together and he asked me "are you going to share him?" and I looked at him and was like "ummm no..." and said "oh you bitch" he laughed and so did I, then I said "Yea, I know". We ran into him a few more times. But anyways, we stayed long enough to catch the show! I was so excited. I actually couldn't believe I was watching this defiant act of the gender norms in Russia. They did a few Russian songs but they also performed "Stronger" by Britney and "Human Nature" by Madonna. It was a nice little performance but I was a little dissatisfied with how little attention some of them payed to their tucking technique. Some of you reading this might not know what I mean by "tucking" haha well it's basically what drag performers do in order to hide their junk down there. I mean, it's part of the whole performance. So, we left a little bit after the show and called Kim up because the plan was to stay at her place since the metro is closed and her apartment is like 10 minutes away from the place.

Finally, on Sunday, we went to the Bolshoi Theater. We went to go see a ballet, Giselle. So far, this has been my favorite one. I enjoyed it more than the first one we went to in Moscow and the one in St. Petersburg. Basically, it was a love story, how could you go wrong right? Well that's what has been going on during the past week. I'll definitely keep on updating this thing regularly(I'll probably have a new post up every Monday night).

2 comments:

  1. oh Jon.. smh.. maybe they didn't pay enough attention to their tucking technique ON PURPOSE ;oP I mean, if I saw you in the audience, AND I thought you might be sharing some 'o Pat, I would definitely want you to know what I'm working with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha yea maybe they did it on purpose. I'm gonna have to learn how to say "did you not tuck so well on purpose?" Plus, can I just say that like I miss you sooo much! Isn't like Alaska close to Russia?

    ReplyDelete